There are lots of ways to help in worship. All of these opportunities are voluntary and most are scheduled on a rota basis. Full training will be given. Please contact Fr Steve to find out more.
Sidespersons – volunteer in pairs on Sundays
- Greet people as they arrive and hand out worship materials
- Collect donations during the service and take them to the altar
- Select two people to carry the bread and wine to the altar
- Count and record donations at the end of the service.
- Count the number of people present and inform the priest at the beginning of the service.
Server – volunteer during Sunday Eucharists
- Help set up the altar before the service
- Carry the cross and the Gospel book during the service
Helping at the altar – volunteer during the Sunday Eucharists
- Giving people the cup of wine during Communion
Preaching – volunteer in Sunday services
- Speak for 10 minutes about the day’s Bible readings in a way that helps listeners to think about their faith and relationship with God
Reader – volunteer in Sunday services
- Read the day’s Old or New Testament reading to the congregation
Intercessionary prayers – volunteer in Sunday services
- Writing out and reading prayers that thank God and ask him to look after others
- In the 11 am service your prayers could take the form of a slideshow, song or some other creative form.
Musical and creative talents – volunteer on Sundays and at other times
- St Laurence’s is always on the look out for musicians, singers and creative people who can bring the Bible to life through telling stories, presenting dramas, arranging slideshows, hosting discussions and making other artistic contributions to church services.
Home communion – volunteer as and when
- Visiting people who are unable to attend church and giving them a wafer consecrated on Sunday morning. Training will be given and St Laurence’s will seek permission from Bishop Pete.